A Deeper History
There is a widespread misconception that these paintings were commissioned by the church. They were not. They were commissioned by Adele Cannon Howells, General President of the Primary from 1943 – 1951. It is of historical importance that this project was entirely her effort. She conceived of it, she bulled it through against hesitancy and opposition, and above all she personally paid for it, as a donation to the church.
Throughout all the painting days, the artist never forgot that Sister Howells’ last act on earth, the night she died, was to arrange for the sale of some property to pay for the project. She never lived to see even the first painting done, and it was the memory of her dedication that strengthened Friberg to push the series through to full realization.
It is only right that she receive credit for this historic undertaking. For without her vision, her generosity, and her dogged determination, these paintings would never have existed.